Tuesday, December 06, 2005

MLK Day

Over at Project YES! in Chicago we are deep into our planning for the MLK Day of service. We are working on a project titled "Recreating the dream through Art and Action" we will be bringing together students from the city and suburbs to paint mosaic murals depicting different civil rights themes. The day will also include education on MLK and the civil rights movement as well as a "march" to commemorate MLK's march from Soldier Field to City Hall in Chicago. Feel free to post what your programs are doing for MLK Day. I think it would be cool for our next project to put together a newsletter of the different projects that programs ran across the state.

4 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger misty013 said...

Street art is one of my favorite urban phenomenons

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger misty013 said...

I studied grafiti as an expression of peoples' thoughts and feelings and interviewed grafiti artists when I lived in Chicago for a semester. I must have taken at least five rolls of pictures (before digital was common) of just grafitied walls. I loved exploring new neighborhoods, going under unknown bridges and finding stories. Stories of struggle, anger, beauty, and hope ~ sometimes all on the same wall.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger misty013 said...

Anyway ~ Patrick, the point is you have to send me pictures of the results. Awesome project. I'll let you know what Safe Families is doing as soon as I know something. Right now all i know is that we'll be in the quad cities working with scouts (boys and/or girls?)

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger misty013 said...

Safe Families will be in the Quad Cities helping scouts earn badges for Martin Luther King Day. Mostly, first aid stuff. Let me know if you want more info than this. ~Misty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home